Intended Audience: Beginners
Introduction to Power BI
- What is Power BI?
- Overview of the Power BI Ecosystem
- Power Query Editor
- Power BI Desktop
- Power BI Service
- Tour of the Power BI Desktop
- Tour of the Power Query Editor
The Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) process
- Introduction to the Power Query Editor
- Clean and transform raw data using the ribbon
- Mastering data types
- Understanding some of the PQE ‘rules’
- Leveraging Applied Steps
- Introduction to the ‘M’ language
- Merging/appending data sources
- Saving/applying transformations
Creating the data model
- What is a data model? Why is it necessary?
- Reviewing relationships/creating new ones
- One to many
- Many to many
- One to one
- Using basic DAX to add data
- Calculated columns
- Filter context and DAX
- Hidden fields
- Creating a date table using DAX
Creating a report
- Formatting pages and using themes
- Choosing and placing visuals
- Formatting visuals
- Visual header controls
- Editing visual interactions
- Slicers and the filter panel
Publishing a report and data model
- Publish the report to a designated workspace
- Tour of the Power BI Service
- My workspace
- Review of the five types of a content a workspace can store
- Viewing a report or dashboard
- Review of menu options
- Creating a dashboard
- Understanding editing privileges in Workspaces
- Review of menu options in edit mode
- Editing a report and saving changes
- Publishing a report or dashboard to an app
Good resources for further learning
- This is an eight-hour session designed to be delivered with two 15-minute breaks and a 1-hour lunch break.
- Participants will need to have the Power BI Desktop installed.
- Before taking any other classes in the Power BI Journey it is strongly recommended that participants first attend this class.
- Data files will be provided prior to training.
More Power BI Classes
What People Are Saying About Us
Really good progression on Excel Levels 1-3. Was able to take a decent survey of the capability of Excel and work on target areas like V-LookUp which were of special importance to me. You can save the Manuals Work Books for reviewing and recreating lessons as practice
Carolyn did a great job at teaching the class and making all of the information feel manageable and easy to understand. Although the class was small and quiet she stayed engaging and thorough the entire time. I would definitely recommend this class to others!
Carolyn was a phenomenal teacher! I learned many new things from the Excel 3 course that I took; I can’t wait to take other courses that Data Creative offers.
I absolutely loved the trainings I have taken with Data Creative. The instructors are very professional, easy to follow, knowledgeable and friendly. The groups are relatively small, so you get personal attention. I highly recommend them for everyone that wants to learn new skills or improve their performance.
Awesome training at a very good pace. Trainers were very open to example scenarios and unique questions. Highly recommend!
Today I was took the excel level 2 class with Data Creative. The instructor was very professional and knowledgeable. He presented everything available to the lesson and more. I will definitely be taking the 3rd lesson through Data Creative.
I completed the level 1 and level 2 PowerPoint training with Damian and I learned so much! I’ve been using PowerPoint for a while and had no idea that there was so much you could do with it. Damian was very easy to follow, friendly, and willing to answer any and all questions. I would definitely recommend this course for anyone looking to fine tune their skills in PowerPoint.
Excellent communication and class setup. Classes are well structured, not too fast-paced. Nice materials, easy to review and follow even if you do not have two screens!
Trish was an excellent facilitator and very personable. The class, Excel Level 4, was easy to follow and she encourage us all day to ask questions! She supplied us with a lot of useful information and “extras”. I learned what I was hoping to learn and had fun doing it.
I took the Excel Level 1, 2, 3, and the Power Point class. I have worked with Excel for over 20 years and I am blown away on how much I thought I knew, but really didn’t know. I would recommend Data Creative to anyone who would want to learn more about what different programs can do. I will be looking forward to any other class my place of employment will want me to take through this company