Intended Audience: Confident Beginners, aspiring Intermediates
We will explore the underlying data model created by the enhanced Northwind trader data set. We will review the fields, tables, relationships, and measures that have been built into the model. The class will cover, in detail, facts and dimensions, data model schemas, cardinality and grain.
- Explore the data model as it is loaded into the Desktop
- Examine the relationships that Power BI created by default, and which ones are not present
- Return to the Power Query Editor to modify some data, and reduce cardinality of some fields
- Discuss how creating staging queries can ‘slim down’ a data model
- Hide fields in the data model to ensure users can’t misapply them
- Review relationship directions
- discuss how DAX filters traverse the model
Next, we will build a simple report and add some simple DAX measures and then measure the performance of the report. We will then perform some ‘tuning’ and measure the report again. The focus of this section will be interactive discussion of the pros and cons of the tuning techniques.
- Identify ways to improve the DAX measures
- Setting slicers with defaults
- Limiting interactions within visuals and across pages
- Avoiding high levels of granularity
- Using tooltips judiciously
- Using filters rather than slicers
- Testing Row Level Security roles
- Principles for good report performance
- Good resources for further learning
- This is a four-hour session designed to be delivered in two segments of two hours each.
- This session will not cover DAX performance tuning in great detail.
- Participants will need to have the Power BI Desktop installed.
- Data files (including a PBIX) will be provided prior to training.
More Power BI Classes
What People Are Saying About Us
Really good progression on Excel Levels 1-3. Was able to take a decent survey of the capability of Excel and work on target areas like V-LookUp which were of special importance to me. You can save the Manuals Work Books for reviewing and recreating lessons as practice
Carolyn did a great job at teaching the class and making all of the information feel manageable and easy to understand. Although the class was small and quiet she stayed engaging and thorough the entire time. I would definitely recommend this class to others!
Carolyn was a phenomenal teacher! I learned many new things from the Excel 3 course that I took; I can’t wait to take other courses that Data Creative offers.
I absolutely loved the trainings I have taken with Data Creative. The instructors are very professional, easy to follow, knowledgeable and friendly. The groups are relatively small, so you get personal attention. I highly recommend them for everyone that wants to learn new skills or improve their performance.
Awesome training at a very good pace. Trainers were very open to example scenarios and unique questions. Highly recommend!
Today I was took the excel level 2 class with Data Creative. The instructor was very professional and knowledgeable. He presented everything available to the lesson and more. I will definitely be taking the 3rd lesson through Data Creative.
I completed the level 1 and level 2 PowerPoint training with Damian and I learned so much! I’ve been using PowerPoint for a while and had no idea that there was so much you could do with it. Damian was very easy to follow, friendly, and willing to answer any and all questions. I would definitely recommend this course for anyone looking to fine tune their skills in PowerPoint.
Excellent communication and class setup. Classes are well structured, not too fast-paced. Nice materials, easy to review and follow even if you do not have two screens!
Trish was an excellent facilitator and very personable. The class, Excel Level 4, was easy to follow and she encourage us all day to ask questions! She supplied us with a lot of useful information and “extras”. I learned what I was hoping to learn and had fun doing it.
I took the Excel Level 1, 2, 3, and the Power Point class. I have worked with Excel for over 20 years and I am blown away on how much I thought I knew, but really didn’t know. I would recommend Data Creative to anyone who would want to learn more about what different programs can do. I will be looking forward to any other class my place of employment will want me to take through this company