Intended Audience: Stakeholders responsible for implementing Power BI; assumes no knowledge of the Power BI ecosystem
Understand the full Power BI ecosystem
- The Desktop
- The Power Query Editor
- The Service
Prep your data well
- The best is to have clean data at the source
- Followed by being able to clean data at the source
- Use the Power Query Editor
- In the Desktop
- In the Service
- There are estimates that 80% of the work in a business intelligence project is in the data
- prep. Be sure to plan enough time to fully prep the data.
- Fully understand what the Power Query Editor can do for you.
Master the data model
- Know your schemas–Power BI likes the star schema
- Relationships are key to your visuals performance (or even working at all)
- When you have a problem with your visual 99 times out of 100 it will be because of a data model problem–always look first at your data model
Don’t be afraid of DAX
- You don’t have to be an expert in DAX but you want to be comfortable with some basic DAX principles.
Leverage the power of the Service
- Do not use the conventional file dissemination methodology.
- You can store PBIX files on SharePoint sites, and One Drive sites, and you can email them to others but these ‘freebie’ methodologies will not work for a long term solution.
- Do not omit licensing as part of your planning. Your organization will need at least Pro licenses unless you choose to go a Premium route.
- Power BI is converging with Teams and to leverage the synchronicity you will need to make sure you have licensed users appropriately
Workspaces and apps are workflow and communication tools
- Here are some principles to consider as you organize your workspaces
Become a data culture
- Organize your data sources
- Where are they stored?
- Are they named clearly?
- Are there duplicates?
- Curate your data sources
- Know the data’s provenance
- Review its’ accuracy
- Keep it clean
- Keep it up to date
- Align data sources with each other
- Train your staff
- Appoint data stewards and data wranglers (even if only in an informal capacity)
More Power BI Classes
What People Are Saying About Us
Really good progression on Excel Levels 1-3. Was able to take a decent survey of the capability of Excel and work on target areas like V-LookUp which were of special importance to me. You can save the Manuals Work Books for reviewing and recreating lessons as practice
Carolyn did a great job at teaching the class and making all of the information feel manageable and easy to understand. Although the class was small and quiet she stayed engaging and thorough the entire time. I would definitely recommend this class to others!
Carolyn was a phenomenal teacher! I learned many new things from the Excel 3 course that I took; I can’t wait to take other courses that Data Creative offers.
I absolutely loved the trainings I have taken with Data Creative. The instructors are very professional, easy to follow, knowledgeable and friendly. The groups are relatively small, so you get personal attention. I highly recommend them for everyone that wants to learn new skills or improve their performance.
Awesome training at a very good pace. Trainers were very open to example scenarios and unique questions. Highly recommend!
Today I was took the excel level 2 class with Data Creative. The instructor was very professional and knowledgeable. He presented everything available to the lesson and more. I will definitely be taking the 3rd lesson through Data Creative.
I completed the level 1 and level 2 PowerPoint training with Damian and I learned so much! I’ve been using PowerPoint for a while and had no idea that there was so much you could do with it. Damian was very easy to follow, friendly, and willing to answer any and all questions. I would definitely recommend this course for anyone looking to fine tune their skills in PowerPoint.
Excellent communication and class setup. Classes are well structured, not too fast-paced. Nice materials, easy to review and follow even if you do not have two screens!
Trish was an excellent facilitator and very personable. The class, Excel Level 4, was easy to follow and she encourage us all day to ask questions! She supplied us with a lot of useful information and “extras”. I learned what I was hoping to learn and had fun doing it.
I took the Excel Level 1, 2, 3, and the Power Point class. I have worked with Excel for over 20 years and I am blown away on how much I thought I knew, but really didn’t know. I would recommend Data Creative to anyone who would want to learn more about what different programs can do. I will be looking forward to any other class my place of employment will want me to take through this company